Select Page

Let’s map out how you can use high-value, multi-media content to gain influence and make more sales.

A Content Strategy Worth $400M in 12 Months

I think the easiest way to communicate the importance of a content strategy is through the following example.

If you own an iPhone, chances are it’s not because you owned an Apple computer before that. You probably own an iPhone because somewhere along the way, Apple used content to convince you to buy one.

You may say, “I don’t remember reading too much about the iPhone before I bought it.”

Very few people read about iPhones before they buy them.

Yet, when we head to the store, we know what features the device will have. We know which celebrities already have one. We even have some idea of the first thing we’re going to do with the phone when we get it.

Mac vs PC

Remember Mac vs PC? Fantastic content from Apple.

All of that is the result of content. Apple generates tons of content ahead of the release of any product.

Most of us remember the iconic presentation by the late Steve Jobs that introduced the world to the iPhone. When Apple unveiled the iPhone at MacWorld 2007, the company literally changed the way we communicate and consume information. Forever.



One phone. One presentation. One amazing content strategy. And people rushed out in droves to buy 6.1 million phones at about $600 a pop in just 12 months.

Coincidentally, a presentation is content. Just so we’re clear.

That’s the power of content. That’s the power of a smart content strategy.

What Should You Be Saying Online?

One of the key mistakes I see many entrepreneurs make is taking every opportunity to talk about themselves and their product online. They immediately go in for the sale, without giving much attention to the process of building a relationship.

Yes, you should talk about your product or service online and feel free to ask for the sale. But that should only be about 10% of your online conversation. What should you be using the remaining 90% of your content to actually say?

That’s what your content strategy determines.

Your content strategy is the planning, development and management of your brand’s media. This includes articles, images, videos, social posts, podcasts, memes, quote cards, interviews, presentations, and other media. It’s all content and it all needs to be developed and published with both your brand persona and your business goals in mind.

It’s going to take more than a website with a few product descriptions and a handful of blog posts to build an “iPhone” kind of relationship with your audience.

The merchant-customer relationship is like any other relationship. There’s a courtship phase where you have to establish trust before your prospects will go any further in the relationship.

The only way to establish trust is to give more than you ask. Provide your audience with something of value, expecting nothing in return.

And the easiest and most effective way to provide value affordably to your prospective buyers is through content.

Let’s go back to the Apple example. What words come to mind when you think of Apple products?

Sleek. Gorgeous. Beautiful. Fast. Innovative. Revolutionary. Cool. Better. Thin.

Why do you think that? Here’s why…



The above videos was created and published by the geniuses at BuzzFeed and it demonstrates a very clear point:

Apple uses content to shape how we think of their product. And so should you.

By the time Apple customers are ready to buy, they are totally convinced they are buying something faster, cooler, revolutionary, hip, groundbreaking and game-changing. And their willing to pay a premium price to get it.

Your content strategy should serve you the same way.

The #1 problem with content strategies is most micro businesses don’t know they need one. Don’t be one of those businesses.

You can download an outline of the basic content strategy I use to help my clients start thinking about how to shape their message. If you find you still need help planning, developing and managing your online content, give me a call at (678) 466-9336.


Facebook Comments